“Salem’s Moving History” highlights residences and other structures that have changed location, especially since the Capitol fire of 1935. Beginning in 1937, state properties expanded into what is now the North Capitol Mall, demolishing a half-mile corridor of residences stretching from Court to D Street. Among the few preserved was the 1856 Court Street residence of pioneers Elizabeth and Josiah Parrish. The house is now a familiar sight along Water Street. When this homestead was being transported to its new location in 1990, the movers faced a challenge when the house became temporarily trapped under the Marion Street Bridge.

Tap any image below to see a complete list of the relocated structures in this album.