This handsome Colonial Revival house was built on Summer Street by William McGilchrist, Jr. in 1917. He was active in a Salem insurance institution, was a realtor and owned a restaurant. After his death, the house was the official residence of Governor Holmes.
In the 1900s, to accommodate building the North Mall Office Building, it was moved one block north to the North Mall Heritage Park. The interior has been preserved, each room with the same dimensions and much original hardware.