This former residence is a Queen Anne Victorian of Eastlake design built by architect/designer C.A. Robert on this riverfront site for A.C. Gilbert’s uncle, Andrew T. Gilbert. (A.C.’s family home, located six blocks away at 700 Marion Street, was replaced by Salem First Congregational Church in 1941.) The City of Salem purchased this property in 1985 as part of its Riverfront Development Project. A.C. Gilbert’s Discovery Village acquired the property through a no-cost lease and restored it with grants from the Meyer Memorial Trust and the community. See a 1992 photograph.