The two-story brick D.A. White & Son Building was constructed around 1911 by Daniel A. White. It housed a lens grinding business until 1914 when White moved his feed store into it. By the early 1920s, Daniel White had built immense warehouses on Front and Water streets and had seed processing operations throughout the U.S. and in Europe. Robert White, a mayor of Salem and state senator, was president of the company in its final years. The D.A. White & Sons Building remained in White family ownership until the mid-1980s.
The photograph was made before the recent condo construction now adjoining.
This Discovery is not designated as a Salem Historic Property.