This 1913 bridge promoted business in settlements along its right-of-way: West Salem incorporated itself the following year. As different methods of transporting goods developed in the 20th century, especially truck transport, the use of the bridge by passengers and for freight declined. The last known regular use was in the 1960s. Looking forward to renovation as a walking/biking facility across the Willamette, the city of Salem purchased the bridge in 2004 and reopened it April 18, 2009. It closed for 6 months for repainting and opened again on may 15, 2010.
This photograph was taken before renovation began. 2009 photographs are here.