This property at 888 Summer Street (the southeast corner of Summer and D Street) was acquired by Ralph and Beryl Cooley in 1922 in two separate deeds from F.A. Legg for $10.00 and from the City of Salem for $1,950. Ralph Cooley was employed by the Bishop’s Clothing Store in Salem for over 50 years; in 1960 when he served as manager of the store, he was honored for half a century of employment. The Cooleys sold the house to the State of Oregon in 1967 due to the state’s planned construction of the Oregon State Archives adjacent to that site.
The house, as photographed below, is now located at 1320 Chemeketa Street in the NEN neighborhood and is designated as a Local Landmark.