- Charles Gordon is sent to Khartom during a revolt by a Muslim leader to evacuate the British civilians. He remained to defend the city, but the city fell and he was killed.( “Khartoum”, 1966)
- Grover Cleveland, a “Bourbon Democrat”, is elected President on a campaign of political reform so popular that the “Mugwumps”, like-minded Republicans, jumped party and voted for him.
- May 1: the 8-hour work day proclaimed by Federation of Organized trades and other labor unions. This date,”May Day”, is recognized in almost every industrialized country.
- In New York harbor, work on the pedestal for the Statue of Liberty is begun, the arm of the statue having been displayed for many years. In Washington, D.C., the Washington Monument is completed ~ the tallest structure in the world at that time.
- The International Meridian Conference in Washington, D. C. fixes the Greenwich meridian as the world’s prime meridian from which the world takes the exact time.
- New American Books: Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain and Ramona, Helen Hunt Jackson.
This 1884 Italianate house on High Street also has a Washington connection
The house is perhaps better remembered for the second owners, Jacob and Louise Amsler. He was a trusted employee of the Bush family, sometimes known as manager of the estate when it was the home of “Miss Sally”. Stories of “Jacob” are woven into the history of the Bush House. One recalls his taking over as chauffeur for the lady of the house after Sally’s first attempt to drive her new electric car resulted in her crashing into the front window of a downtown pharmacy. An Amsler family tradition concerns a beech tree that Jacob planted in 1902 at 1678 Liberty Street. His son, William, operated the Nob Hill Dairy in that area. Dr. Rogers, the dentist at the address, named his clinic Liberty Beech Dental after the large tree.
When you visit
A National Register property since 1982, this remains a private home. It is located at 1043 High Street SE in the Gaiety Hill/Bush’
- Thomas McFadden Patton of Salem is appointed United States Consul at Kobe, Japan. His wife and two sons accompanied him on the two-year adventure. (see Lifelong Companions: the Patton Brothers in the Historic Marion topic of this website.)
- The Capital Journal newspaper, in collecting news stories, is one of the few Salem telephone users. An exchange system was set up in Lee Steiner’s drug store about 1890.
- Joseph and Charley Meyers pay off an election wager as they chop firewood in front of a Commercial Street business establishment. An all male audience joins them in posing for the camera.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance maps first record Salem properties. These maps, now available online from the Salem Public Library, are invaluable tools for seeing what structures were in place at various years of our local history.
- In this year Edwin Cross succeeds his father, Thomas Cross, one of Salem’s earliest meat processors, manager of the family business. In 1867, their market and slaughterhouse on Center Street was photographed as an attractive white two-story wooden building with a wide porch and picket fence and tall trees around it. The pre-1894 home of Edwin Cross was located at the northeast corner of Liberty and Chemeketa Streets.
- Estelle Bush and Claudius Thayer, after an a front porch courtship at her home, elope and marry against her father’s wishes. Claudius was described as “physically crippled” in his obituary and that is given as the reason her father opposed Estelle’s marriage. Claudius was the son of Oregon’s sixth governor, William Wallace Thayer and later a Supreme Court Justice. A reception was held in the groom’s family’s residence in Portland. The couple first made a home in Tillamook where they operated a bank, then moved to California for Mr. Thayer’s health. Their only child, Eugenia, died of influenzain 1918. Estelle returned to Salem after Claudius’ death in 1923.
- Dr. Luke A. Port and wife Lizzie move to Salem and build their first home (now the National Register designated Port-Manning House on Halls Ferry Road) where they live with their daughter and son, Alpha and Omega. On the corner of Winter and Ferry streets, it was in an early residential neighborhood near the new First Methodist Church and State House structures. In 1887, their son, destined to be a partner in the father’s pharmacy in the Patton Building, was lost at sea while on the way to Germany for further study. The Ports left Salem for extensive travel (including futile investigations into the fate of the ship their son has taken) and new real estate enterprises. They sold the house to Major William Manning. They will not return to Salem until 1894 when they build their second home here, later to be named Deepwood.